In British Columbia an important bill was passed concerning bullying and harassment in the workplace.
The steps an employer must take to address bullying and harassment in the workplace are detailed in OHS policy D3-115-2, and include the following:
- Developing a policy statement to prevent and address workplace bullying and harassment
- Taking steps to prevent or minimize bullying and harassment
- Developing and implementing reporting procedures
- Developing and implementing procedures for dealing with incidents and complaints
- Informing workers about the policy statement and steps taken to prevent or minimize bullying and harassment
- Training supervisors and workers about recognizing, responding to, and reporting incidents and complaints of bullying and harassment
- Annually reviewing the policy statement and procedures for reporting and dealing with incidents and complaints
This policy came into effect November 1, 2013 and requires compliance by all employers. There is a toolkit available online at www.worksafebc.com/bullying for those of you who wish to develop your own policy and procedures and do the training.
If you would like assistance with any/all aspects of meeting compliance please contact us at www.lrassess.com for a free consultation